Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
1 pound smoked beef sausage, split and cut into 2-inch pieces (I use more--like 2 pounds and I cut the sausage into circles.)
4 pounds of chicken thighs
1/4 to 1/3 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup flour
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 medium green pepper, chopped
2 celery ribs, sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups of water or broth from boiling chicken
4 cup of chicken broth
1 tablespoon of Creole seasoning
2 tablespoons Kitchen Bouquet
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bunch green onions – tops and all, sliced
Hot cooked rice
File powder (about 1 t.)
- Put oil in Dutch kettle and brown sausage over medium heat. Remove sausage, reserving drippings in a pan. Set sausage aside.
- 2. Place chicken in a 5-6 quart Dutch kettle, cover with just enough water to cover. Cook chicken over medium to high heat until tender. Remove chicken set aside to cool. Save chicken broth if you are going to use instead of the water. Then de-bone chicken and cut into bite size pieces.
- Measure drippings, adding enough oil to measure ½ cup. Heat oil in Dutch kettle over medium to high heat until hot. Whisk in flour, and cook, whisking constantly, 10 to 12 minutes or until roux is medium to dark colored
- Add the chopped onion, green pepper, celery, garlic and green onion and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are tender. Gradually stir in 4 cups of water or boiling broth, and 4 cups of broth; bring to a boil. Add chicken, Creole seasoning, Kitchen Bouquet and thyme; reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add sausage and cook 30 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in file powder. Serve over a bowl of white rice, with French bread. Freezes great.